Having an email list doesn’t sound like the most cutting-edge promotion. But experts say it’s essential to helping you grow a loyal audience. Amy Porterfield is the founder and CEO of Amy Porterfield, Inc. She’s an online marketing expert who teaches entrepreneurs and brand owners the keys to selling online. If you’re not completely sold on the idea of blasting emails, Porterfield gives Bold TV reasons why you need an email list. And then she gives the inside scoop on how to start a successful one. Here are some highlights from the interview.
Why do you need an email list?
- You have a captive audience. When you build an email list the right way, your audience is loyal to your mission and brand.
- You own your email list. “Don’t build your business on rented land,” Porterfield says. You don’t own social media. At any time, the algorithm can change, and you’ll lose all of your hard work.
How do you start?
- Start to create original content online. Put your original work on social media, whether it’s a blog, podcast, video show, etc. If your content is good, people will engage.
- Create a lead magnet. What is that? It’s a freebie. Let your audience know you’re giving something away, and it will be irresistible. They’ll have to give you their name and email in exchange for the freebie. The lead magnet helps you build your email list.
- Give, give, give before you ask for anything in return. You can’t sell before you let the people know you have something to offer.
Your immediate friends and family can’t be your only audience forever. A sustainable business needs an invested audience. This tactic may be the missing link to seeing your content take off!
For tips on becoming a social media entrepreneur, check out this advice from influencer Simonetta Lein.